When you eat too much salt, which contains sodium, your body holds extra water to "wash" the salt from your body. In some people, this may cause blood pressure to rise. The added water puts stress on your heart and blood vessels.
To lessen the sodium in your diet, refrain from consuming the following food.
- Processed foods such as lunch meats, sausage, bacon, and ham.
- Canned soups, bouillon, dried soup mixes.
- Deli meats.
- Condiments (catsup, soy sauce, salad dressings).
- Frozen and boxed mixes for potatoes, rice, and pasta.
- Snack foods (pretzels, popcorn, peanuts, chips).
- Pickled or marinated food in brine. (Vinegar- and lemon juice-based marinades are ok.)
Avoiding foods high in added sugars, saturated fat & cholesterol, as well as beverages containing alcohol will also contribute to the improvement of any health condition.